All we need is Love

"And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him." -1 John 4:16

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Day 24: Discuss a Spontaneous Moment in Your Life That Turned out to be Fantastic

I feel like these moments don't happen very often in my life, but maybe I'm wrong. I can remember one that may seem extremely petty and insignificant, but I will never forget it.

I was about 11 or 12 years old. We lived in an apartment complex that consisted of people of all ages and various races. It wasn't my favorite place to live, but somehow we made it work. One day I was hanging out with one of my friends outside, when all of the sudden I saw an elderly woman walking slowly down the steps that lead to an entrance that was closest to her home. She was struggling to unlock the door and would consistently glance over at me in a very humble manner, but never said anything. I decided to go over and see if I could help. It was a struggle for me too at first, the key kept somehow getting stuck and wouldn't turn. Finally after about three times, I got it to unlock and was able to open the door for her. Her whole face lit up as she softly said, "You are an angel, and don't let anyone tell you differently." It was the most incredible feeling, and still makes me smile every time I think about it. From that day on, every time we passed by each other, she always recognized me and smiled. I really regret not saying good-bye to her before we moved into our current home. I often wonder if she is still alive, as she was quite up there in years when we were living there.

Again, it seems very petty, but it had a huge impact on my life. Any time I'm feeling discouraged, asking God what He could possibly use me for or what is so special about me, I think back to that moment and I can still hear her voice just the way it sounded, and I tell myself, you're an angel and don't let anyone tell you differently - not even yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment