All we need is Love

"And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him." -1 John 4:16

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Day 15: A Band/Musical Artist Whose Music Impacted Your Life

Of course, the very first person that comes to mind is Amy Grant. When Karl and I broke up back in 2008, I was devastated. I felt so alone, like nobody could possibly understand what I was going through. I heard her song "Missing You" from her album Behind the Eyes and I sang it to myself almost every day--

Your smile lights up a room like a candle in the dark
It warms me through and through
I guess that I had dreamed we would never be apart
But that dream did not come true
Missing you is just a part of livin'
Missing you feels like a way of life
I'm living out the life that I've been given
But baby, I still wish you were mine
I cannot hear the telephone jangle on the wall
And not feel a hopeful thrill
I cannot help but smile at any news of you at all
And I guess I always will
Missing you is just a part of livin'
Missing you feels like a way of life
I'm living out the life that I've been given
But baby, I still wish you were mine.

I almost called Karl up to sing this song to him, but I was always too afraid. This song helped me to grieve, but it wasn't this song that actually helped me heal or made me feel better. I stumbled upon her song "The Prodigal" from her album Unguarded - immediately, I started to weep. By this time, Karl's mom and I were e-mailing each other back and forth, she was a big help in my time of need. The song made me think of how her and Karl's dad must have felt while their son was living with someone who was a horrible influence on him and following the ways of the world. I sent his mom the lyrics to "The Prodigal" to which she replied in tears, saying that was exactly how she felt--

I face the day again against the window pane
I remain your closest friend - I wish you back again
You wonder how I feel
You think you've pushed too far
If only you could see this pen scribbling down my heart.
(Chorus)
I'll be waiting,
I may be young or old and gray
Counting the days
But I'll be waiting,
And when I finally see you come, I'll run when I see you
I will meet you
(End Chorus)
But still the days drag on
Why did you decide to go?
Did you only need to see
What only time can show?
(Chorus)
And even if you never do return
Still I will have learned how to love you better
(Chorus 2x)

Wow, just writing the lyrics down gives me goosebumps and brings tears to my eyes all over again. I listened to this song over and over for days, until he finally did return home, and back to me. This song gave me hope, and even though I'm not his parent, his waywardness gave me a deeper love for him. When I would hear Amy Grant sing these songs, it felt like she was singing them directly to me/for me, and that helped more than the song itself I think. These songs ministered to me and helped me, but the ultimate reason why I got through our separation was because of God - He sent certain songs AND Karl's mom to comfort me in my turmoil. He is so good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment